Human Environment: Settlement, Transport and Communication Class 7 Questions and Answers Geography Chapter 7
Class 7 Geography Chapter 7 NCERT Textbook Questions and Answers
Answer the following questions :
(i) What are the four means of transport?
Four major means of transport are as follows :
(ii) What do you understand by the term ‘settlement’?
A cluster of houses form a settlement. Hence a settlement is a place where people build their houses.
(iii) Which are the activities practised by the rural people?
Rural people are engaged in the activities like agriculture, fishing, forestry, craftswork and trading etc.
(iv) Mention any two merits of railways.
Merits of railways
- It carries heavy and bulky goods.
- It carries people to long distance very quickly and cheaply.
(v) What do you understand by communication?
Communication is the means for carrying messages from one part of the country to another.
(vi) What is mass media?
Mass media is a way to learn about world and the events occurring in the world.
Tick the correct answer-
(i) Which is Not a means of communication?
(ii) Which type of road is constructed under ground?
(iii) Which mode of transport is most suitable to reach an island?
(iv) Which vehicle does not pollute the environment?
Match the following :
|(i) Internet||(a) areas where people are engaged in manufacturing, trade and services|
|(ii) Canal route||(b) closely built area of houses|
|(iii) Urban areas||(c) inland waterway|
|(iv) Compact settlement||(d) a means of communication|
|(i) Internet||(d) a means of communication|
|(ii) Canal route||(c) inland waterway|
|(iii) Urban areas||(a) areas where people are engaged in manufacturing, trade and services|
|(iv) Compact settlement||(b) closely built area of houses|
(i) Today’s world is shrinking.
We are living in a world without national and communication boundaries. World has become shrunken mainly because information is available at any place from any comer of the world on a click of the mouse. This is highly sophisticated world without distances. With this kind of under connectivity people to people, people to services and institutions-across the world, at a great speed we are becoming large global society.
(i) Conduct a survey in your locality and And out how people commute to their respective workplaces using-
(a) more than two modes of transport
(b) more than three modes of transport
(c) stay within walking distance
- First of all, prepare a schedule consisting of the families living in your locality like the following.
- Now ask each family and tick out the column against them regarding which modes of transport they use.
- After filling the schedule, now do calculations by counting numbers of each category of the mode of transport.
- A sample report
Out of 30 families, 15 families use two or more modes of transport. Out of which 5 families use more than three modes of transport.
- families live within walking distance, it means they do not use any mode of transport.
(ii) Mention which mode of communication you will prefer most in the following situations-
1. Your grandfather has suddenly fallen ill. How will you inform the doctor?
2. Your mother wants to sell the old house. How will she spread this news?
3. You are going to attend the marriage of your cousin for which you will be absent from the school for the next two days. How will you inform the teacher?
4. Your friend has moved out with his/her family to New York. How will you keep in touch on a daily basis?
NCERT Solutions for Class 7 Social Science