How To Become An Aeronautical Engineer In India?: If you want to be the person behind the proper functioning of airplanes, jets, or even supersonic jets, then the field of aeronautics is ideal for you. You can be an aeronautical engineer and ensure the smooth operation of these planes daily.
But to qualify as an aeronautical engineer, you have to have a professional degree that would help you add credibility to your skills. This article will talk about how you can become an aeronautical engineer in India.
Refer to Course Details to know more about related courses and find details like Admission Process, Eligibility Criteria, etc.
Aeronautical engineering is the branch of engineering that deals with the production, design, development, and testing of various aircraft and related systems.
All the systems used in the control rooms or inside the aircraft are designed and developed by aeronautical engineers. To become an aeronautical engineer, you must have a piece of good knowledge of maths, flight-related concepts, and problem-solving skills.
There are mainly four courses available in India for becoming an aeronautical engineer, and these courses are as follows:-
- B. Tech in Aeronautical engineering
- B. Tech in Aerospace Engineering
- B. E. In Aeronautical engineering
- M. Tech in Aeronautical engineering
The foremost eligibility criteria for becoming an aeronautical engineer in India are that you must have studied maths and physics in classes 11 and 12. This means you must be a science student in school, either with biology or without biology.
The next step is to get admission to a good and reputed college that offers you any of the above courses. To get admission to these courses, you must clear entrance exams like JEE Main and JEE advance.
You can also get a license in aircraft clearing and maintenance bypassing or clearing exams under DGCA. The DGCA approval is very important; otherwise, the colleges will not consider your license to be authentic.
For further studies in Aeronautical engineering, you can also do a master’s degree by giving the GATE exam and getting into a good college.
The candidate must have a minimum of 55% marks in their board exams. Otherwise, they are not eligible to take admission in undergraduate courses. If you wish to do a Master’s in aeronautical engineering, you would need a passing certificate of your graduation and a minimum of 50% marks.
Aeronautical engineering is a skill-oriented position and job. You can only become an aeronautical engineer if you have certain skills to help you have the edge over others. Some of these most important skills are:-
- Problem-solving:- As an aircraft is flying in real-time, plenty of things can go wrong. An aeronautical engineer has to deal with plenty of variables such as weather conditions, wind speed, direction, etc. So a person who is capable of thinking fast on their feet is suitable for such a position.
- Communication:- An aeronautical engineer should also be a good and confident communicator. Communication plays an important role while you are trying to solve any issue. If you are unable to convey your message properly, then there can be some serious repercussions.
- Fast and Accurate: As mentioned above in the article, an aeronautical engineer has to use the principles and fundamentals of maths and physics constantly. A good in both of these areas and can solve problems quickly and accurately can easily succeed as an aeronautical engineer.
- Strong Mechanics:- As most of the consoles and systems used to operate and control an aircraft are machines, you must have a piece of strong mechanical knowledge. People that are comfortable with machines and technology are easily able to grasp the concepts.
- Responsible:- Working on an aircraft is a responsible duty as there are other people’s lives at stake as well. A person who is well aware of this fact can easily take up an aeronautical engineer. People that are considerate and have a good sense of responsibility are ideal candidates.
- Should be able to work under pressure:- working under pressure is a common theme when working in the aviation industry. You are always under a strict schedule and deadline before which you have to make the plane ready to fly. You can cost the company a huge amount of money if the inspection or clearing is delayed even by a few minutes.
- Safety concerns:- A Top Aeronautical engineer should be extremely careful regarding the security and safety of the personnel onboard the plane. If an engineer is clumsy and lazy, they might overlook some things due to which there could be safety concerns.
- Leadership:- Leadership is important for aeronautical engineers as they need to be commanding in emergencies. To prevent these types of situations from escalating, the leader must control the situation.
- Alertness:- Aviation industry, especially aeronautical engineers, needs to be alert of their entire surroundings at all times as they need to be careful of every minute little detail.
- Physical fitness:- An aeronautical engineer must also be physically fit and have clear eyesight.
You do require some special tips or hacks to become an aeronautical engineer in India. Some of these special key tips are:-
- Try to gain maximum experience and knowledge when you are interning or working under a professional. The practical knowledge that you acquire in the field will help you a lot.
- Before finalizing a certain mechanism or machine for final production, it is always better to create a prototype. Creating a prototype will allow you to test the system first as well as it will also allow you to bring some changes to the system.
- Never use your idea or estimation for calculations; instead, always stick to facts and figures. This habit will make your calculations more precise and quick.
- Inspect all the parts and systems properly before the flight for more than a single time. This tip will help you to ensure there is no lack of attention from your side. Focusing on the source problem and correcting it is far better than fixing the problem temporarily.
Aeronautical Engineering has a great potential to grow in the future. According to a report, aeronautical engineers are expected to grow by 6 percent from 2016 to 2026.
Indian colleges have started to offer courses in aeronautical engineering that are up to the standards worldwide. Due to this recent surge in the number of people wanting to do aeronautical engineering, more and more colleges have started to offer these courses.
An aeronautical engineering degree opens up the door to a lot of new opportunities and avenues, the top job profiles that you can get as an aeronautical engineer are given as follows:-
- Aeronautical Engineer:- The main job or task of an aeronautical engineer is to design and develop aircraft. These engineers are responsible for creating propulsion systems and studying the aerodynamic performance of airplanes.
- Aeronautical Mechanical Engineer:- This type of engineer’s main job or task is to maintain and clean the aircraft engines. These people are also involved in overhauling or servicing the frame or engine of the aircraft.
- Aeronautical Electrical Engineer:- The electric aeronautical engineers are responsible for all the electric equipment used in an aircraft and the control room. Some of the most important aircraft gadgets are a navigation system, radar, and radio communication.
- Flight Engineer:- Flight engineers are responsible for maintaining a seamless journey while traveling in the air. This job profile includes making minor or major repairs to the aircraft. The Flight engineers also do the initial pre-flight checks.
Preparing contingency plans for system failure is also an important part of the roles played by a flight engineer.
The salary packages of an aeronautical engineer can be divided into three parts: low level, mid-level, and high level. The average salary per annum of a low-level aeronautical engineer is around Rs. 2,10,000. The mid-level aeronautical engineers have an average salary package of around Rs. 6,15,000, whereas for the high-level aeronautical engineer, this salary package rises to Rs. 36,86,000.
The difference in the salary between the mid-level and the high-level aeronautical engineers is very high as the engineers at the top level are solely responsible for the proper functioning of certain aircraft.
The above article covers some of the major aspects that would help you become an aeronautical engineer in India. After reading this article, you will have a concise idea about the eligibility criteria and educational qualifications that you must have to be a part of this industry.
Then we also talk about the specific skills you must possess, along with a few key tips that would help you excel as an aeronautical engineer in India.